martes, 2 de abril de 2013

3D Printing Face Reconstruction

What I know:
I know that there was a man that had a huge tumor on his face and when the doctors removed it in an operation, most of his face was destroyed. He couldn't even eat. So some scientists created a 3D model  of the part of his face that's missing so that he can live a normal life.

What I want to know:
- How long does it take to make it?
- How expensive will it be to make?
- Will this technology ever be open to the general public?
- How do you make it?

Useful Links;
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

What I learned:

  • How it works is that a thin layer of special dust is laid on a surface. A laser is then pointed at it and it burns the particles together. Then the next layer is laid and then they stick all the layers.
  • A normal plastic prosthetic is cheap and easy to make, but for the high tech ones in facial reconstructions, there are lots more steps. 
  • The first thing is that the shape is a LOT more complex than regular things. It's also made from different materials to make it more realistic. It also has to be painted. All this makes it quite complicated to make.
  • It allows the guy to eat and drink normally, as well as look semi-normal.
  • Doctors are researching more about this, and they say that in a few years this technology will be more available.

This and me:
This could some day be a part of my life because if someday I have a problem similar to this guy's, this technology could help me.

Moar Questions:
- Can you make limbs using this?
- Could they eventually be connected to your nervous system and act like a normal part of your body.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario